Thursday, May 24, 2012

Sandos Caracol, the first 3 days

*sigh* I really WANT to love this resort.  I mean, really.  It has a lot of awesome things going for it.  It's got some amazing Mayan ruins hidden in the jungle, it has some refreshing cenotes, and the food is fantastic.

I'm going to start by saying that I hate people who complain. I had to deal with it all of the time when I was concierge at a hotel.  It was irritating and pretty much constant.  That being said, there are a good number of things about this hotel that are "know before you go" sort of things.  You can take them as complaints, or just suggestions when choosing your hotel.

1) If you have a difficult time walking and you don't pay extra to have a room on the beach (at $89 per person/night on top of the regular rate), it's quite possible that you will be walking a LOT.  I don't mind walking at all, but my mother and in-laws have a difficult time getting around.  My in-laws have arthritis and my father-in-law has a bad knee.  We asked for a room closer to everything, because we were put on the very outer perimeter of the hotel.  We left our room at 10 AM and were without a room for 5 hours waiting for one closer (they told us that we would be significantly closer- and even gave us a room number- which someone told us was NOT guaranteed, to be fair), but we only got one very slightly closer.  That was kind of frustrating.

2) The Mayan celebrations have virtually no Mayans as part of their show.  All of the people involved in the ceremonies are from Mexico City or other parts of Mexico.  There are plenty of Maya-speaking, true Maya from Yucatan who need work and would be proud to be part of such a celebration, but they are not a part of it.

...to be continued

1 comment:

  1. That is sad about the Maya speaking peeps not being included in the celebration.
    I would have never thought about the room issue. My mom suffers from knee pain. This is a good things to remember if we are ever as LUCKY as you, and get to take a trip there. ;)

    ReplyDelete