Friday, December 7, 2012

Update

About one month to go until our move to Mexico! Yay!

I have a brief update for you regarding the new Mexican immigration law:

If you have Mexican children, you qualify immediately for permanent residence.  If you just have a Mexican spouse, you qualify for temporary residence for 2 years, after which you can apply for permanent residence.  Since we plan on living in Mexico indefinitely, and barring any unforeseen circumstances, I'll end up applying for permanent residence through my kids.

Another update, related to my last post:

I sent one of my friends to the INM office in Merida to see if she could find out if the local office has any different requirements for people wanting to change from an FMM (tourist visa) to a temporary/permanent residence visa based on family ties.  She said that what they require include my passport, our marriage certificate, and my husband's ID.  I think that it was under the assumption that I'd be applying through my husband, and not my children.  I asked her if they said anything about showing financial documents, and she said NO.

I also emailed the INM through their website and asked them specifically what I'd be able to do.  They said that once I arrived in Mexico, I could apply for either permanent or temporary residence, whatever I wanted.  They then referred me to link to the INM's list of requirements for changing from FMM to a temporary/permanent resident visa (the same link that I referred to in my last post).

I've been following several forums, and I've heard of a single case, so far, that's similar to mine.  The person entered Mexico on an tourist visa and changed to temporary resident based on marriage.  No financial documents required.

Awesome.


So, that's it so far!

In the meantime, I'm working away in retail hell for the holiday season, and I'll be able to post more once we start to slow down!


No comments:

Post a Comment